There is something so exciting about counting down the days with your children until a big event, celebration or special day. This hanging leaf calendar counts down the days until Thanksgiving, but with a sentimental twist. Behind each leaf is a pocket that fits a sweet, little note from one family member to another!
- Here is what you will need:
- Colored paper in Autumn colors
- Brown markers
- Ink pads in browns and dark orange
- Small sponge for applying ink
- Ribbon (I used about 7′)
- Glue Dots® Glue Lines
- Glue Dots® Mini Dots
- Numbers cut from brown paper
- Print template and cut out leaf shapes.
- Using the paper leaves as a guide, cut out paper leaves. You will need 24 this year! I alternated colors and shapes without sticking to a pattern.
- Decorate the leaves by smudging them with a sponge dabbed on an ink pad. You can also draw the leaf veins. Be creative!
- Cut out 24 – 1.5″X 2″ rectangles. Optional: I used a corner cutter on the two corners of the rectangles that will be facing down. Using Glue Dots® Glue Lines, line three sides and attach, leaving the open side towards the stem of the leaf.
- Cut 24 – 1″ X 2.5″ rectangles. I used colors to represent each member of our family. Then we sat around the table and we divided them up. Every person ended up with one for each of the other members. Then we wrote why we were thankful for that person. Or why we appreciate or love them. Our little guy drew a picture and then we wrote what he said it meant. We just made it up for the baby! Shhh… don’t tell them but here are a few from our family’s collection:
- Stuff the little notes in the leaves with the writing facing in-no peeking!
- Attach the numbers to the fronts of the leaves using the Glue Dots® Mini Dots. They are the perfect size and stay put!
- Hang your leaves on a ribbon using the same Glue Dots® Mini Dots. Yep! They work on ribbon too!
It is so important to remember that even in the busyness of the holiday season we should be appreciative of the people with who we are closest. We are really going to enjoy taking a few minutes each day to read a note from this Thanksgiving Countdown Calendar and I hope yours does too!
I wrote this blog post while participating on the Glue Dots® Design Team.