Gone are those days when expecting moms were advices to avoid any sort of exercise. Today’s would-be-moms are ready to maintain an active yet safe lifestyle while be engaged in strength and weight training for a number of reasons. Rather doctors encourage risk-free expecting moms to workout reasonably so as to maintain their fitness level and make themselves ready for the stress of labor pain and delivery, and improve their physical as well as mental fitness.
Benefits of exercising during pregnancy
Exercise is one of the key components of a happy and healthy childbearing phase. Here are the key benefits of exercises, especially strength and weight training, during pregnancy.
- Reduced pregnancy symptoms – Pregnancy is perhaps the most beautiful phase of a woman’s life. But this wonderful phase can be sometime the most uncomfortable one because of some symptoms. And the worst thing about these symptoms like nausea, muscle cramps and fatigue, is that they usually exist throughout the pregnancy. Exercise helps body to get adapted to such changes by reducing the intensity of such symptoms. To be more precise, weight training helps to strengthen the core and maintain proper postures and better weight-bearing techniques. And these techniques eventually take pressure off of spine and thus relieve back pain. It also radically reduces the leg cramps and varicose veins.
- Controlled weight gain – A reasonable and significant weight gain is the most typical part of pregnancy. In fact, proper weight gain is considered to be a dependable sign of a healthy and progressive gravidity. But implementing proper diet and exercise is a must in order to maintain a controlled weight gain. Or else the pregnancy may end up in excessive weight gain that in turn may develop further complications such as gestational diabetes and hypertension. The OB-GYN and dietician would be the best persons to determine the amount of adequate weight gain.
- More energy – A woman body during gestation goes through a number of changes and some of them are really exhausting. During pregnancy, most would-be moms develop a feeling of fatigue and tiredness due to hormonal changes and stress of carrying a growing life in the womb. They continually combat the bodily and mental discomforts associated to gestation. And it’s already proven that regular exercising, especially strength and weight training involving lifting as well as resistance exercises helps the body to fight lethargy and boosts up energy levels.
- Healthy development of fetus – Weight training along with other pregnancy-specific exercises works amazingly for proper placental growth. Placenta, the pregnancy organ transports nutrients to the fetus and protects the baby from toxins and other harmful wastes from mother’s body. During exercise, mother body excels more carbon dioxide and inhales more oxygen and this helps in enhanced growth of placenta, which is very much required for healthy growth of the baby.
- Shorter and easier labor – Weight training during pregnancy is likely to result in best thigh gaps and an easy time with labor. Irrespective of the process of delivery, childbirth is always extremely tiring. The pelvic and abdominal muscles have to face a lot of contraction and relaxation, and that is really traumatic. It becomes even more difficult and traumatic for the moms who never did any weight and strength training during pregnancy. On the other hand, the moms who exercised have already allowed their core and pelvic muscles to gain strength and elasticity to ease the pain of labor.
Exercising during pregnancy offers a myriad benefits for the expecting moms while only a few of them could be discussed here.