It’s been nearly two weeks since I’ve been back from Blissdom and I can hardly believe it! I’m still processing everything I learned, who I met and more!
I was excited to learnt that this year Blissdom was going to have photography sessions. I recently got a Nikon D5000 and while in Auto Mode I can take some pretty good pictures, I wanted to learn MORE. I was even more excited when I learned that Me Ra Koh was one of the photographers that was going to be speaking.
Me Ra Koh is inspirational, gorgeous, enthusiastic and a talented speaker and photographer. I only got to spend a total of 3 hours listening to her share and I’m wishing that I could attend one of her weekend workshops!
While at Blissdom, I attended two sessions called Shoot Like a Woman Part I and Part II by Me Ra. I wish I could share with you everything she told us, but here are some of my notes that I took!
- Turn off your flash! Buy an extended internal flash.
- Use the center focus and then reframe.
- Be willing to change camera settings quickly, especially when you’re shooting children!
“Be willing to miss shots to get great shots” – Me Ra Koh
- If you’re taking pictures of people, go to a parking lot not a park! Grass will suck up light!
- Turn off all the lights in your house and let the natural light come in.
- If you have a point and shoot, you can still get those cool photos where there is a blurry background. Switch to Portrait Mode!
- Don’t edit after, try and fill the frame as you are taking the picture.
- When getting pictures taken of you, wear something you feel beautiful in.
At the end of the second session, Me Ra had us do something that I thought would be silly, but actually turned out to be very emotional. I can’t tell you how many times I cried during her two sessions!
Try doing this:
Stand up with your camera in your hands and close your eyes.
Lift the camera above your head, up and down.
Bring the camera to your heart.
Feel that the camera is an extension of you and not just an awkward piece of technology.
Pictures mean so much to me and I love capturing my daily life, my family and all of those special moments. I’m so grateful that I was able to attend and hear from Me Ra and her husband!
Thanks so much to Rug Doctor, who was my sponsor to Blissdom 2012!