I can hardly believe that Valentine’s Day is NEXT week! That’s not possible, how is this year already flying by? I’ve volunteered to help plan Hayden’s Valentine’s Day party at school and I’ve baked up a delicious treat that I plan on bringing – Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes!
These cupcakes were so easy to make and SO yummy! They are definitely sure to be a hit with both kids and adults. You could even bring them to a class party and let the kids decorate them with sprinkles, which is what Hayden had fun doing at home! I only wish I would have thought to put a cherry on top – I had the maraschino cherry juice but didn’t think of it!
Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes
– 1 stick butter, room temp
– 4 egg whites, room temp
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 tsp. baking powder
– 1/2 tsp. salt
– 1/4 tsp. baking soda
– 1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
– 3/4 cup buttermilk
– 1 1/2 cups sugar
– 2 teaspoons vanilla
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
– In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
– In a small bowl, mix together buttermilk and cherry juice.
– With an electric mixer, beat butter on high for 30 seconds. Add in the sugar and vanilla and then beat until combined.
– Add egg whites and bet well.
– Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
– Spoon the cupcake mixture into the liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake for 15 minutes.
– Remove and let cool completely before frosting.
– 2 sticks butter, room temp
– 4 cups powdered sugar
– 3 tablespoons cherry juice or milk
– In large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth.
– Gradually add in powdered sugar, mixing at the same time.
– Add in maraschino cherry juice and then beat in more powdered sugar.
– Frost the cupcakes! I like to use a Wilton bag and an Open Star 1M tip.
– Optional: Decorate with Valentine’s Day sprinkles!