While in Los Angeles for the #Incredibles2Event, we had the chance to visit the Disney Channel and screen their newest animation series – Big City Greens! This was such a fun show to see and we got a sneak peek of the first 2 episodes which premiere on June 18th!
Big City Greens follows the offbeat adventures of 10-year-old Cricket Green, a mischievous and optimistic country boy who moves to the big city with his wildly out of place family – older sister Tilly, dad Bill and Gramma Alice. We had the chance to talk to the creators of Big City Greens, brothers Chris and Shane Houghton!
We got to have a fun interview with Chris and Shane as they shared more about their childhood and how Big City Greens came to be! Below are some fast facts about the new Disney Channel show!
- Big City Greens was created by brothers Chris and Shane Houghton, who grew up in a little farm town in Michigan.
- They took their experience from going to college in a big city, their friends and families that they grew up with and based Big City Greens on that.
- Cricket Green is based on Chris Houghton and he is also the voice of Cricket on Big City Greens.
- Chris also sings the song at the end of Big City Greens, it’s a song that Shane and him wrote.
- Grandma Alice is also based on their real-life Grandma – who is described as combination of sweet and sour.
- Big City Greens was in development for over 2 years – they spent those 2 years working on the first 11 minutes of the first episode!
- There will be some exciting guest stars this season including Jon Hamm, Raven-Symoné, Busta Rhymes, Danny Trejo, Paul F. Tompkins, and Lauren Lapku.
- Chris and Shane wanted to show all types of families in Big City Greens which is why they decided to have Cricket’s Dad Bill be a single Dad. They wanted it to be a show also that reflected people they knew growing up.
- You can clearly see the chemistry between Chris and Shane. They have been working together professionally over 10 years. They know each other so well – they know their likes, dislikes and even finish each other’s sentences!
- Chris and Shane said they consider Big City Greens to be 2 parts funny, 1 part heart.
- Their older brother would draw and inspired Shane and Chris to start drawing and making up stories as a kid. They would make a lot of comic book strips and they even performed in bands and in plays together.
Big City Greens premieres on June 18th – make sure to watch it with your kiddos, you will love it!
Disclosure: A huge thanks to Disney for bringing me out to the #Incredibles2Event.