Growing up, Mary Poppins was one of my favorite movies. When my son was finally old enough to watch the movie, we gathered around to watch it and I was so happy that he thought it was as magical as I did. The soundtrack of Mary Poppins is one of my favorites ever and many of the songs from the movies are song that I sing almost daily to my children. When I heard there was a movie coming out about the real story of Mary Poppins, I couldn’t wait.
Saving Mr. Banks is the untold true story about the origins of one of the most treasured Disney classics of all time – Mary Poppins. Determined to fulfill a promise to his daughters, Walt Disney (Tom Hanks) tries for twenty years to obtain the rights to author P.L. Travers’ (Emma Thompson) beloved book. Armed with his iconic creative vision, Walt pulls out all the stops, but the uncompromising Travers won’t budge. Only when he reaches into his own complicated childhood does Walt discover the truth about the ghosts that haunt Travers, and together, they set Mary Poppins free.
My husband and I saw Saving Mr. Banks in theaters and I knew that this was going to be a movie that I needed to own on Blu-ray. A large part of the movie was actually filmed on Walt Disney Studios, where they also had access to recordings of P.L. Travers discussing the making of Mary Poppins with the Sherman Brothers. I was hoping that we would be able to get more of a glimpse of this in the bonus features of Saving Mr. Banks and I wasn’t disappointed!
Saving Mr. Banks Bonus Features
– The Walt Disney Studios: From Poppins to Present (Blu-ray & Digital HD) – Join Director John Lee Hancock on a tour of the Disney Studios lot, reflect on studio life during the making of Mary Poppins, and discover how Walt’s creative spirit still flourishes today.
– Let’s Go Fly a Kite (Blu-ray & Digital HD) – Cast and crew sing break out in a rousing, heartfelt tribute to Composer Richard Sherman on the last day of filming.
– Deleted Scenes:
– Stargaze (Blu-ray & Digital HD) – A picture on Walt’s desk leads to a flashback of Pamela’s childhood.
– Pam Leaves (Blu-ray & Digital HD) – After yet another disagreement with Walt, Pamela leaves his office and heads for the airport.
– Nanny Song (Blu-ray, DVD & Digital HD) – The Sherman Brothers perform a song for Pamela that she is less than thrilled with.
I’m so glad to finally own Saving Mr. Banks on Blu-ray and DVD. I loved seeing the behind the scenes look at Mary Poppins being made and appreciate the bonus features on the movie even more – especially the tour of Walt Disney Studios, which is my favorite.
One lucky reader will win a copy of Saving Mr. Banks on Blu-ray/DVD!
Disclosure: I received a copy of Saving Mr.Banks but all thoughts and opinions are my own.