For some reason, when I was pregnant with Hayden, the thought of getting a video baby monitor never occurred to me. We ended up getting a very basic audio monitor that worked well. It did the job of us hearing him if he cried in his room or needed us. Why I waited 4 years to finally get a video monitor, I have no idea! I can’t be the only parent that has spent so much time sneaking into my child’s room to make sure he’s breathing or sleeping.
With the twins set to arrive in just a few months, I knew I needed a video monitor to be able to keep an eye on them. What I love about the VTech Safe & Sound Full Color and Video Baby Monitor is not only are there so many fabulous features, there’s also the ability to add up to four cameras! Right now, I have the camera set up on Hayden but when the twins arrive, I can add a camera into their room or even 2 cameras if I want a camera to focus on each of them.
With September being Baby Safety Month, VTech did a survey to poll parents’ safety attitudes, purchasing behavior and overall parenting behavior. The results — today’s parents are extremely safety conscious with the majority (71 percent) of survey respondents labeling themselves as either “close supervisors” or very “protective.” I’m definitely a combination of being a close supervisor and very protective!
Other survey findings included:
- Men and women have different safety styles — men identified themselves as more relaxed about baby safety than women.
- Parents get an “incomplete” on their safety homework — only 40 percent of survey respondents researched important safety recalls to ensure their products are not defective.
- Parents are good at following instructions for safety — the majority of parents surveyed (58 percent) read all the instructions before using or assembling the product to ensure safe operation.
Parents also responded with baby monitors being one of the most important baby safety products to own and I certainly agree! Luckily, the VTech Safe & Sound Full Color Video & Audio Baby Monitor offers up so many features that will make you feel at peace!
- Vibrating Sound Alert – Enjoy some added peace by being silently alerted when there is sound in the baby’s room.
- Temperature Sensor – Parent Unit displays baby’s room temperature. Be assured the conditions are ideal for restful sleep.
- Talk-Back Intercom System – Remotely communicate with your baby from the parent unit to the baby unit. Soothe your baby from another room or even from outdoors.
- Polyphonic Lullabies – Play 5 different lullabies on the camera.
- Camera Battery Compartment – Add four AA batteries (not included) to the camera for up to 4.5 hours of video streaming.
- Night Viewing – 8 infrared LEDs automatically sense the lighting condition providing full video viewing in dark rooms.
- Split screen capability – System supports up to four cameras to be viewed from one Parent Unit. Viewing modes include Single View and Quad View Split Screen
- High Resolution 2.8″ Color LCD – Easily view your baby (or babies) from the 320×240 full color display.
- Wall Mount Bracket – Safely view your baby from a fixed location. Bracket includes a cord management system for storing excess power cord. Swivel, tilt and zoom the camera for the ideal view.
- Adjustable camera angle.
- Extended Range – Up to 1,000 feet of range allows you to feel safe and connected to your child while you go about your day.
- Digital Transmission – This 2.4GHz Frequency Hopping Digital Spread Spectrum system digitally transmits both the audio and video signals. No annoying white noise sound. You only hear the sounds coming from your baby. All transmissions are encrypted for your privacy and security.
- Expandable to 4 Cameras – For families with more than one child to monitor, this system can expand to four total cameras. Extra cameras (VM301) sold separately. Know what is happening in all of the important rooms in your home.
The VTech Safe & Sound Video Monitor consists of the receiver and the camera – don’t forget you can have up to four cameras with this! It was super easy to set up – the monitor is on my nightstand, but it also has a clip so you can carry it with you easily throughout the house. Right now, the camera is sitting in Hayden’s room on his dresser but you can also easily mount it to the wall – all of the parts to attach come in the box!
I absolutely love being able to see Hayden while he is in bed at night. I’m able to zoom in to see if he’s really sleeping and you can see what the temperature is in his room. This is perfect because my husband like to keep the house COOL but I don’t like it to be too cool in Hayden’s room. The clarity of the video monitor is like nothing else I’ve seen before – I can clearly see Hayden’s chest rise and fall as he sleeps.
Hayden didn’t know that I put the monitor into his room at first, but then one morning he discovered the new edition in his room. We will probably be mounting it to the wall very soon! Once he discovered the camera in there, I showed him how I could talk to him while he was in his room. Now, every night he asks me to sing him a song and tell him goodnight through the monitor.
The VTech Safe & Sound Full Color Video & Baby Monitor is perfect for all ages! I’m sleeping a lot better knowing that I can easily keep an eye on my son and I don’t have to get out of bed for every little sound that I hear coming from his room. It’s also perfect for older children – if you had the VTech Video Monitor, you wouldn’t have to worry about the below happening! I’m not alone with this, right?
Disclosure: I received the above product for review purposes only. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Jennifer Young says
Lol, I love that e-card, soooo true!!! We have a video monitor for my girls’ room and I love it. If we hear a noise, we can just quick check it and see if one of our girls needs help or if it was just something else. I love that I don’t have to go in there and potentially wake them up if it was nothing!
This seems like a really great one! I think I even want one for Baybah.
What a great monitor! I can’t believe how far technology has come! This would be a great baby shower gift!
Oh, how I’d love to have a video monitor in my son’s room. He’s the oldest and no longer needs a monitor, but has the most fantastic times after it’s supposed to be lights out. Last night we went up to remind him to stay in bed… and he was tiptoeing around his room, dressed up in his superhero costume. Goofball!
That looks like an awesome system. I ought to get one for my three year old who has started to wander at night!
Kristina Vanni says
What a great way to keep tabs without interfering! Looks super helpful.
Jenn @therebelchick says
Wow, that Vtech monitor looks fantastic! Technology has come so far!
We have used a couple of audio monitors and like you, they did the job. However, I am actually in the market for a video monitor now with our third!
I have this monitor and think its great. You nicely showed off some of my favorite features. I just can’t get over how small this thing is!
Amy @ Oh So Savvy Mom says
LOL, that is so true!!! I would love one of these monitors! I don’t necessarily want one for the baby that’s coming, but rather for my naughty little boys who like to goof off when they’re supposed to be going to sleep. 🙂
Vanessa: the queen of swag ! says
great review and it’s crazy to see how far baby monitors have come.
Emily @FamilyNLifeLV says
We LOVE this monitor! It’s been great to finally see what is happening once the door closes!! Can’t wait to use it with the baby!