Lately, my two year old twins have been so into butterflies. We have a few books featuring butterflies and they just love pointing them out to me. Surprisingly, we haven’t seen any butterflies in person yet although I’ve been wanting to bring them to the Butterfly House in St. Louis. Until then, we can make these Butterfly Cupcakes at home!
INGREDIENTS FOR BUTTER CUPCAKES
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of butter (one stick), softened
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 whole eggs
DIRECTIONS FOR BUTTER CUPCAKES
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Grease and flour cupcake pans or insert cupcake liners. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. Add the butter milk and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients.
5. With an electric mixer, beat for two minutes.
6. Add the eggs and beat for an additional two minutes.
7. For the prepared batter into the cupcake pans, filling 2/3 of the way.
8. Bake 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven and let cool in pans for 10 minutes.
10. Remove cupcakes from pans and place on metal rack for an additional 30 minutes or until completely cooled.
11. Frost with green “grass” icing (see recipe below).
INGREDIENTS FOR GREEN “GRASS” ICING
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 T vanilla extract
2 T cold milk
Green food gel
Mike and Ike candies (any colors you desire)
Twizzler pull ‘n peel licorice (I used the purple strand in the fruit punch bag)
White-chocolate covered pretzels (I used the Flipz brand)
Multi-Colored candies like M&M’s or Skittles
DIRECTIONS FOR GREEN “GRASS” ICING
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter.
2. With a mixer on low, add half of the sugar until well blended.
3. Add the rest of the sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth.
4. Add food green gel until you reach your desired color of dark green grass.
5. NOTE: to thin icing, add 1 Tablespoon of milk. If you desire a more thick icing, add 1 Tablespoon of powdered sugar.
HOW TO MAKE ‘GRASS’ ICING ON CUPCAKES
1. Fill 3/4 decorating bag with green icing and attach a Wilton #233 tip.
2. Hold the decorating bag straight up and squeeze to create a glass blade.
3. Immediately after squeezing pull up and away when the icing strand is about 1/2 inch. Stop squeezing and pull tip away.
4. Be sure to keep the strands together so none of the cupcake shows through.
5. NOTE: for a more natural grass look, you can pull the tip slightly to the left or right.
6. Visit Wilton’s website HERE for a video tutorial, if needed.
7. Lay 2 pieces of Mike and Ike candies down the middle of each cupcake.
8. Cut off 2 (1/4 inch) pieces of Twizzlers pull ‘n peel licorice and insert at the top to resemble butterlfly antennas.
9. Lay 2 white chocolate covered pretzels on each side of the Mike and Ike candies to resemble butterfly wings.
10.Place multi-colored candies in the holes of the each pretzel. You can use M&M’s or Skittles. (I used Skittles).