Now that Hayden is in preschool, I get to worry about all those things that come with him being around 16 other children.
In addition to him being exposed to all those germs, there’s another thing I’ve been worried about and that”s lice. I’ve heard horror stories about kids getting lice!
Luckily, I was able to learn more about lice prevention from Risa Barash, the “Lice Lady” and founder of Fairy Tales Hair Care !
It’s not pretty, but here are some Lice Facts, which are good to know!
– There are more than 12 million cases of head lice reported in the U.S. every year.
– The majority of reported lice cases are in children age 3 to 11.
– Lice infects people regardless of social status or personal hygiene. Lice, in fact, like clean hair, not dirty hair, because it is easier to attach to a clean hair shaft rather than a dirty one.
– The most common way for lice to transfer is through head to head contact. Lice do not fly or jump; they only crawl.
– Lice move slowly and take 30 seconds to move from head to head.
– Lice can survive off a human head for 24-36 hours and can therefore be transmitted through contact with pillows, hats, hair brushes, athletic helmets and other personal items.
– Lice is more common in girls than boys, probably because they tend to share more personal items.
– Symptoms of lice include itching at the scalp, small red bumps or sores on the neck or scalp and a tickling feeling of something moving in the hair.
– Herbs such as rosemary, citronella and tea tree have been proven to repel head lice; the smell keeps them away.
– It is easy to mistake pieces of dandruff, food or hair products for louse eggs or nits. If the particle can be removed easily with your fingers, it’s not a nit.
About Lice Prevention
– Avoid sharing personal items such as hats, combs and brushes, hair accessories, towels, pillows, and ear buds. If you must share an item, such as an athletic helmet, wipe it down with a wet cloth before use.
– Keep long hair pulled up in a braid or pony tail.
– Avoid daily hair washing when possible. Lice attach more easily to clean hair.
– Use hair care products that repel lice naturally with ingredients such as rosemary oil, citronella oil and tea tree oil.
– Store each person’s personal items such as jackets, backpacks, hats and scarves in separate cubbies or a sealed bag.
Make sure to check out Fairy Tales Hair Care, which are hair products that naturally repel lice and other insects from hair using all-natural, organic ingredients. When used together, the Rosemary Repel Hair Care line is highly effective in preventing lice. All products are Paraben and SLS free.
Rosemary Repel® Shampoo
The first of its kind, this unique shampoo is infused with rosemary, citronella, tea tree, anise, lavender and geranium oils to repel lice.
The formula is safe to use every day and contains no harsh ingredients or chemicals.
The nourishing ingredients promote soft, squeaky-clean and shiny hair and is safe for all hair types.
Available in a 32 oz. bottle, $24.95, a 12 oz. bottle, $10.95, and a 2 oz. travel bottle, $2.95
Rosemary Repel® Cream Conditioner
The conditioner combines lice protecting ingredients such as rosemary and citronella with aloe and vitamin E to protect and nourish hair.
The lightweight formula promotes tangle free, silky hair without build up.
Available in a 32 oz. bottle, $29.95, an 8 oz. bottle, $10.95, and a 2 oz. travel bottle, $2.95
Rosemary Repel® Leave-In Conditioning Spray
The conditioning spray blends organic oils of rosemary, citronella, tea tree, lemongrass, peppermint, sage and others to keep lice and other insects away.
The formula contains vitamin B-5 and aloe to detangle, condition, and protect the hair from unwanted elements.
Safe to use as part of a daily hair-care routine, the Rosemary Repel Leave-In conditioning spray has been proven to be 92% effective when used alone and nearly 100% effective when combined with the other Fairy Tales Hair Care lice prevention products.
A favorite of moms across the country, Rosemary Repel Leave-In Conditioning Spray is Fairy Tales Hair Care’s best selling product!
Available in a 32 oz. refillable bottle, $29.95, an 8 oz. bottle, $10.95, and a 2 oz. travel size bottle, $2.95
Rosemary Repel® Spray and Shield Hair Spray
This lightweight hairspray holds hair’s style while providing protection against lice and other bugs.
The formula is infused with pure oils of rosemary, citronella, tea tree, cinnamon, rose extracts and geranium oil for healthy, beautiful hair.
Available in an 8 oz. bottle, $10.95
Rosemary Repel® Gel
The Rosemary Repel gel is the perfect styling tool to create polished hairstyles while keeping lice and bugs away.
The formula is infused with organic rosemary, citronella, tea tree, anise, cinnamon, mint, sage and geranium oils for healthy, beautiful hair.
Available in an 8 oz. bottle, $10.95
Find out more about Rosemary Repel® and Fairy Tales Hair Care at www.fairytaleshaircare.com, or follow the brand on Facebook at Fairy Tales Hair Care or Twitter at @fairytalesinc.
Have you had to deal with lice yet? What are your best tips?
Disclosure: I received Fairy Tale Hair Care to review. All opinions and thoughts are my own.