Keeping up with the latest fashion trends can be tricky, especially when you’re on a budget. Want to refresh your wardrobe without breaking the bank or breaking out the sewing machine? Read on! With a little bit of creativity, you can take basic t-shirts and breathe some new life into them!
How to Turn a T-Shirt into a Tank
T-shirts are so comfy and versatile, and everyone has a few favorites in their closet. Maybe you’re dying to upcycle an old fave, or you simply want to add a DIY look to your wardrobe. Turning your old t-shirt into a stylish tank top is easier than you think. It’s also fun to buy a fresh new t-shirt and customize it into a fashion-forward, one-of-a-kind addition to your wardrobe.
For a classic tank look, grab a scissors and your tee, and follow these instructions:
- Cut about two inches below the armpit. Cut upwards towards the shoulder, and end about two inches away from the shoulder seam.
- Next, you’ll be cutting the neckline. Lay the shirt flat on its side, so the arm holes line up. Cut away about six inches of material from the neck to create a scoop neck.
- You could stop there, but if you want to get fancy, you can cut the back identical to the front.
- You can also cut a few strips of fabric from the bottom of the tee, giving it a raw, unfinished hem. For bonus points, you can loop those strips of fabric through the armholes and tie them at the back of your freshly-sliced tee, creating a chic racerback tank.
Stylish Stencils Add a Pop of Color
If you want to take your plain-colored t-shirt to the next level, find a stencil and some fabric paint. You can buy stencils online or even make your own using cardboard and a craft knife if you’re feeling extra creative.
Keep it simple with a small stencil or go all out with endless shapes, designs, and colors. You can simply brush the fabric paint onto the shirt, or you could use an airbrush for a more polished look.
No-Sew Cardigans for Fall
Cardigans are trendy and can keep you cozy during the chilly fall and winter months. The best part is, you can turn any old long-sleeved tee into your new favorite cardigan.
You’ll need some scissors, an iron, and hem tape. Cut a straight line directly up the middle of the front of the shirt (a ruler or straight edge may be helpful here). Fold the cut edges inwards and then apply the hem tape along the edges following the manufacturers directions to give it a clean, finished look.
Tie Some Simple Knots
“Elegant” is usually not the first word that comes to mind when you think of t-shirts, but a few knots can make all the difference!
Start with an extra-long t-shirt and fold up the back, pulling the bottom hem of the front of your tee forward. Then coil the excess material at the bottom in the front into a rope. From there, you can knot it as you would a bun in your hair, wrapping the material around itself into a ball, and then pulling the end through to secure it.
You can also tie that same knot and flip it to the inside of the tee for a crop-top look. Or you can gather the excess material in the back and tie it to turn a huge t-shirt into a more form-fitting one.
Cut Out a Pattern
Using templates or stencils, you can cut shapes and patterns into old shirts. For example, cut a diamond or heart shape into the back of a tee. You can use a pair of scissors or a craft knife to achieve this fun look.
Tips and Tricks
If you want to follow any of these DIY hacks, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here are some tips that can help you find no-sew success:
- Iron your shirts! Wrinkles can really mess you up, especially when you’re cutting. They can throw your measurements off, resulting in an uneven look.
- Make sure your scissors and craft knives are sharp! Dull scissors or knives can pull or rip the fabric.
- It doesn’t have to be perfect! The fun of these no-sew t-shirt hacks is that they’re completely DIY, which gives them an edginess that’s totally trendy. Have fun!
If you want to grab a bunch of t-shirts and let your creativity come to life, Threadsy has you covered. They have thousands of shirts in stock, and our low prices and fast shipping mean you can experiment with any new style you want.