If your child is not doing well in school, or you want him or her to get some extra help after school hours, you may want to enroll the child for tuition. One advantage of finding a suitable tutor for your child is that they can help the child understand complex concepts since they will teach him or her on a one-to-one basis. Tuition is also a good way to prepare your child for their exams. Even when a child has enrolled for entrance exams, they are better off getting taught by a private or a group tutor. Now, if you are planning to move to Hong Kong, what kind of Hong Kong tutor should you find for your child? Should you go for a private tutor or a tutor that helps a group of students? What is more suitable for your child?
We should probably start by defining private tuition and group tuition. When we talk about group tuition, we mean the teaching of students from 3 to 15 in number. Such students can be placed in a group or one classroom and then the tutor will explain various concepts to the group. Group work or class discussions are encouraged for this kind of tuition.
Private tuition, on the other hand, refers to a situation where one tutor teaches one student. They can monitor the progress of the student. Here, specific topics on which the student is weak are covered.
So, what is the best option you can take for your child? Should they enroll in group tuition or for private tuition? Well, we could say that this depends on the needs of the child.
Here are some advantages of both types of tuition:
- There is healthy competition between the students who take part in group tuition. The students will learn together, solve sums together and even compete in the exams that they do after learning. This makes it easy for the students to interact, help each other and learn from each other. This is good for them all.
- When students learn as a group, they will be involved in group discussions. Some students are good at certain subjects, topics, skills, and so on. When they engage with their peers, they will become better. Group discussions help weak students to catch up with their peers and even become better.
- Group tuition also helps students to be motivated by their peers. When they know their peers could be struggling in certain topics and subjects, they get motivated that they are not alone in the difficulties. This encourages them to work harder.
- With private tuition, students can get individualized attention. The tutor can tackle the specific areas that a student is weak in. The tutor takes their time to ensure the student is catered for in their weaknesses.
- It affords the student a customized tutoring model. This means that the tutor will adapt to the learning speed and style of the learner. This way, the tutor can only concentrate on the specific topics where the learner has difficulties.
- It is also flexible for the learner. The learner picks the times when to attend the tutoring session, unlike in group tuition, where everyone must arrive at a specific time when learning needs to start.
Now, based on the above arguments, the parent can gauge the needs of their children and choose either group tuition for them or private tuition.