My family is the most important thing in the world to me and after that, my house which we have turned into a home. That’s why my husband and I make sure to do everything we can to make our home safe for our family. It’s scary to think about but according to the National Fire Protection Association, a fatal house fire occurs in the United States every three hours. Along with carbon monoxide poisoning, a fire is another huge fear of mine – and I bet it’s a fear of yours too! June is Home Safety Month and thanks to Kidde, I’ve got some great tips to share with you!
Home Safety Tips
– Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms should be replaced every 10 years. Kidde Worry-Free alarms have a sealed-in lithium battery that lasts 10 years– the life of the alarm. Make sure to test them monthly to make sure they are still actively working.
– Place carbon monoxide alarms on each level of your house and near sleeping areas. These alarms will monitor your home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Smoke alarms should be placed on each level of the home. Kidde actually has location-specific alarms to take the guess work out of where to place it.
– Place fire extinguishers within reach on every level of your home. Make sure that they are installed close to an exit and near the kitchen or garage, where most home fires are started.
– Make an escape plan that your whole family knows. This is something that my husband and I have talked about together but not with our son. It’s something that we definitely have to do soon! Practice the escape plan with the whole family and make sure each adult knows who will take care of which child. Make sure to figure out two different exits from each room in the house.
– Put your home address and phone number on the fridge and make sure your kids know it!
We have Kidde Worry-Free smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors throughout our house and I rest easier knowing we have them. You don’t have to worry about low battery chirps since the Kidde Worry-Free alarms feature a battery that lasts 10 years, which also saves you money.
Do you know Home Safety? Take the online quiz and see how you score! You could also help me win 150 smoke alarms to donate to my local fire station by selecting Sippy Cup Mom at the end of the quiz! The quiz will be live until June 30th.
One reader will win a Kidde Worry-Free Smoke Alarm! Enter the Rafflecopter form below. US only.
Disclosure: I was compensated for this post but all thoughts and opinions are my own. Safety is #1!