Patients with dry eye disease often need medication to recalibrate tear production. Dry eyes occur when the tears cannot offer the correct eye lubrication. The tears might be insufficient and unstable for several reasons. For instance, a person might suffer from dry eyes even when they don’t generate ample tears, or they have inferior quality tears. And this instability in the tear results in damage and inflammation to the eye’s surface.
There’s no denying that dry eyes feel uncomfortable. When you have dry eyes, the eyes can burn or sting. It might be possible to witness dry eyes in specific situations, for instance, in an air-conditioned room, on a plane, riding a bike, or even gazing at the computer screen for several hours. There are several symptoms of dry eyes, such as:
- Eye redness
- A burning, stinging, and scratchy sensation in the eyes
- Light sensitivity
- Stringy mucus around or in the eyes
- Having problems wearing your contact lens
- Feeling like there’s something in the eyes
- Finding it difficult to drive during nighttime.’
- Eye fatigue or blurred vision
- Watery eyes that is the body’s innate response to the dry eye irritation
Ways to manage and prevent it
Dry eye disease needs to get medically managed. Patients can check out the Restasis eye drops price to know more about it and apply it to get relieved from this condition. Today, several doctors suggest an eye drop for the same.
Once you take the correct medication, you must choose tactics to prevent it. The correct tactics are:
- You shouldn’t blow air to your eyes by making use of car heaters, hair dryers, fans, and air-conditioners.
- Try and wear a wraparound sunglass or any other secured eyewear. A safety shield can be added on the sides and tops of the eyeglasses to block the dry air and wind. You can also ask about the shields where you can purchase the eyeglasses.
- Take a break from long tasks. It would help if you took a break when reading or doing any other chore that needs constant visual focus. Make it a point to close your eyes for a while or repeatedly blink for a couple of seconds, that helps to spread the tears evenly in the eyes.
- Make sure to place the computer screen beneath eye level. When your computer screen is at eye level, you need to open your eyes wider to view the screen. Ensure that you position the computer screen beneath the eye level so that there is no need to open the eyes wide. It can help to reduce the evaporation of the tear as you blink the eye.
Lastly, ensure that you avoid smoking and stop smoking altogether to manage your dry eye disease better. Take the necessary help from your doctor to quit smoking and decide what works best for you. If you don’t smoke, ensure to stay away from the people who do so. Smoke has a detrimental role to play in dry eye symptoms. Furthermore, try and use artificial tears daily. People with chronic dry eyes make use of eyedrops even when the eyes are fine to keep them lubricated.