Here is what you will need:
- Two squares of fabric. I used a scrap that worked out to two 8.5″ squares.
- Ribbon! Lots of pieces of ribbon about 5.5″ long.
- Velcro. Just a small section.
- Scissors, thread, pins and sewing machine.
And here we go!
- Cut your squares to be the same size. And cut pieces of ribbon to the same length-about 5.5″ in length.
- Fold pieces of ribbon in half with the right side out. Pin these along the perimeter of one of the squares. The folded side should be facing to the center of the square with the raw ends extending a 1/4″ past the edge of the square. How many you use is your choice. I fit as many as I could on the square and it ended up looking like a ribbon party! My little one likes things exciting! Leave a half inch or so allowance from the corners.
- Put the other square of fabric on top with the good side of the fabric facing each other.
- Run a seam along a half an inch from the edge of the fabric around the perimeter. LEAVE ABOUT A 2″ GAP so you can turn it inside out.
- Turn it inside out very carefully after you have taken out all of the pins. Iron the edges under in the section where it is not sewn.
- Pin the missing piece of ribbon in the gap and begin sewing a seam around the edge, creating a topstitching effect. This also serves to reinforce the ribbon attached to the fabric for when your baby is pulling on them. Then cut a piece of ribbon and securely sew the velcro to both sides. This way you can attach it to the stroller or car seat when you are on the go!
This taggie blanket would give any baby a lot to look at, pull on and chew on too! It would be a wonderful handmade baby shower gift. Just remember to make sure your seams are secure and always supervise your precious baby for safety!
Where did I get all my fun ribbon? From Chelsea at Ribbon Revelry, of course! Here are some of the ribbons that are used in the blanket:
- Yellow Moonstitch 7/8″ grosgrain
- Red and Hot Pink Jester/Diamonds on 7/8″ grosgrain
- You are a Star 7/8 inch grosgrain
- Geranium Pink and White checked gingham 3/8″ grosgrain
- Powder Pink 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon with white polka dots
- Solid Bright Yellow with red polka dots 3/8 inch grosgrain
- Gumball Rainbow polka dots on yellow 1 1/2″ grosgrain
What other crafts or projects made with ribbon have you been wanting to do?