A group of surgical procedures that makes a face look more feminine is called facial feminization surgery or FFS. There are already a number of good FFS NYC clinics that one can refer to in order to help in her journey to becoming the true version of herself.
FFS is more popular with transgender women who often undergo the transition from male to female facial feminization in order to match their appearance with their gender identity.
There are a lot of people who are interested in FFS as this is the procedure being done to soften the characteristics of the facial features of a person. FFS can involve one or more than one procedure and each of these procedures is uniquely tailored to the features of each individual. The main purpose of FFS is to enhance the facial features of a person and give the impression of femininity without having to alter the uniqueness that an individual has.
Below are some of the common FFS procedure:
- Reduction of the forehead or lowering of hairline or scalp advancement
- Lifting of the brow, face, neck, and/or eyelid surgery (especially if you want to look more youthful)
- Reduction of the jawline or contouring of the chin
- Nose job or rhinoplasty
- Augmentation or modification of the cheek and lips
All in all, a person is considered as a good candidate for FFS if it is in relation to the masculine facial features of the person who is also in a good health condition.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Person Who Decides to Have FFS
Below are the advantages when a person will undergo FFS procedure:
- It will change the bone structure, and the changes will be permanent. The end result of the procedure can also be dramatic and therefore help in boosting your self-esteem.
- For those who have undergone FFS, have a high satisfaction rating for the procedure at 99%, and all of them say that their decision was all worth it.
- There are also studies that reveal that combining multiple FFS procedures in one operation is safe, and there is even a financial benefit because you only have to undergo general anesthesia only once, and have a single recovery period at the same time.
However, there is no such thing as perfect, so here are some of the disadvantages of FFS:
- The natural aging process of a person is not halted by the surgery, therefore, you may still need to have soft-tissue maintenance procedures in order to maintain your look.
- The FFS procedure will definitely require a hefty amount of money because FFS will almost always include a few different procedures, so the cost will surely add up.
- If the surgeon that you chose has little to no experience with FFS, there is a high chance that you might not get the results that you want to attain. You may be considering such a surgeon because of lower professional fees, however, you must consider the outcome of your decision will really be worth it because you might end up having an asymmetrical face, unnatural-looking hairlines, and visible scars.
Find only the Best FFS NYC Surgeon
When you are in search of an FFS NYC surgeon, see to it such surgeon is board-certified and has the most extensive experience when it comes to facial feminization surgery.
You should always ask your doctor as to the number of surgeries he or she has performed every year and see to it that they also have a lot of facial feminization before and after surgery photos, along with patients that have a similar facial structure as your own.
What Will Happen During the FFS Procedure
Facial feminization surgery is a procedure that is customized for every patient, so, you should be able to have a good consultation with your board-certified surgeon on what you want to look after the procedure. Along with your specific goals on how you want to look after the procedure, it is also advisable that you ask general medical questions in order to discuss all other aspects of the surgery, including psychiatric history or emotional concerns.
After making a decision that you want to undergo FFS, you will be required to undergo a pre-op evaluation and other routine laboratory tests in order to guard you against any possible medical complications.
If you are a smoker, you will also be advised to stop smoking for about four weeks before the surgery, and the doctor may also require you to either stop or start taking certain medications or supplements. Medications that you might be prohibited to take before the FFS procedure are aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, or certain herbal supplements because these can increase bleeding.
Oftentimes, the FFS procedure will be conducted in a hospital, and the patient will be under general anesthesia. But, there are some procedures that can be done using only topical or local anesthesia like hairline advancement, and cheek and lip augmentation.
A study was conducted in the year 2019 which revealed that combining facelift and forehead contouring with a brow lift, cheek implants, nose job, and jaw contouring can be done in a safe and effective single surgery. From 25 patients, there are only seven who experienced complications like facelift hematoma and cheek implant infection, however, these complications are known risks from these procedures.
After undergoing surgery, the areas affected by the procedure will then be bandaged, and an elastic bandage is often used and placed around the head, face, and chin in order to minimize the swelling and also to support the healing process. There might also be times where a drain will be placed under the skin in order to prevent the accumulation of excess blood or fluid caused by the procedure. Of course, this drain is only temporary and is usually removed within a week after the surgery.
Before you are discharged from the hospital or clinic, you will be given specific instructions for the following:
- Caring of the areas affected by the surgery
- Restrictions on your activities
- Positions when you sleep (you may be required to sleep upright or reclined)
- Ointments that you should apply to the affected area, or medications that you should take orally in order to expedite the healing process and reduce infection risks
- Dates and intervals of follow-up visits to your surgeon
- Any possible signs of infection or other concerns that signals to call your specialist in order to get immediate medical attention