When I think of a classic Disney movie, Pinocchio comes to mind. As a child, I watched this movie many times and I remember being so excited to introduce the movie to my kids. In fact, one of my favorite songs EVER comes from Pinocchio – When You Wish Upon a Star! It’s hard to believe that Pinocchio was released in 1940, over 75 years ago because it’s a movie that is still so relevant today. When I heard that Pinocchio was arriving on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time, I new it was a movie that HAD to be added to our collection.
I recently had the chance to visit the Wish Upon a Star: The Art of Pinocchio Exhibit at The Walt Disney Family Museum and I got super emotional walking through it. Pinocchio is considered one of the mot influential animated films of all time – where would we be without it?
“Pinocchio” tells the tale of wood-carver Geppetto’s beloved puppet who embarks on a thrilling quest – with faithful friend Jiminy Cricket – that tests his bravery, loyalty and honesty, all virtues he must learn to fulfill his heart’s desire: to become a real boy.
The Walt Disney Signature Collection release includes hours of classic bonus material and exclusive features including a reinvented rendition of “When You Wish Upon a Star” created and performed by music influencers from Disney’s Maker Studios; never-before-seen artwork from the film’s Pleasure Island sequence; archival recordings of Walt himself during “Pinocchio” production; and a recently restored and scored 1927 short featuring Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
The bonus features on Pinocchio are fantastic, you’re going to want to make sure to take time to enjoy these!
BLU-RAY, DIGITAL HD* & DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE:
- Walt’s Story Meetings: Pleasure Island – The Pleasure Island scene in “Pinocchio” had much more development than what is seen in the film. Join Pixar’s Pete Docter and Disney historian and author J.B. Kaufman as they explore artwork recently discovered in Disney’s animation research library revealing some of the attractions, gags and games, which Disney animators created for this iconic location of the film, that never made it on screen.
- In Walt’s Words – “Pinocchio” – Hear Walt himself discuss the making of “Pinocchio” through archival recordings and interviews.
- The Pinocchio Project: “When You Wish Upon a Star” – Music influencers Alex G, Tanner Patrick and JR Aquino from Disney’s Maker Studios, a global leader in short-form videos, gather in a creative workspace to create their rendition of the film’s signature song, “When You Wish Upon a Star,” and produce a fresh new music video.
- Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in “Poor Papa” – This recently restored and scored 1927 short features Oswald the Lucky Rabbit who gets multiple visits from the stork and is forced to attempt various methods to help stop the onslaught of baby deliveries.
- Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include hours of bonus material, such as the making of “Pinocchio,” deleted scenes, sing-alongs, storyboards and theatrical trailers.
Watch the Trailer for Pinocchio!
Connect with Pinocchio
Pinocchio will be on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere on Jan. 10, and on Blu-ray™ and DVD on Jan. 31!
Disclosure: Thanks so much to Disney for bringing me out to San Francisco for the event. I received a copy of Pinocchio for review purposes only. All thoughts and opinions are my own.