We’re excited to have this great guest post from Natalie’s husband, Ron:
Ah, the feel of a newly-shaven cheek and chin… smooth as the day you were born. It is almost nice enough to make me want to shave every day. But I’m pretty lazy about it which means my twice weekly shave is a brutal process as my skin just isn’t conditioned for a razor’s onslaught. I even do most of the tricks. I shave after I shower. I use nice shaving cream and finish with a cold water rinse. I even use moisturizer instead of after shave to try and minimize razor burn. And I get a nice one across my neck every single time I shave. The only thing I have going against me is a long-standing refusal to change razor blades often enough. They are just too expensive!
Enter the Martell Blade Buddy. I’m kind of skeptical about stuff like this but figured I had nothing to lose except that nasty case of razor burn waiting for me every Monday and Thursday. Here’s the deal, the Blade Buddy is a honing tool specially designed for your razor. It takes a good razor and fixes all the minor imperfections that make shaving hurt so much. 30 seconds of your time and an end result of a nice close and smooth shave. At least that’s what the advertising says. I was still skeptical that a $20 piece of black rubber with some grooves on it could transform my super expensive razor blade into a samurai-worthy weapon.
To make it a true test I shaved half my face without using the Blade Buddy first. One pass with the grain, then one against. Once I finished the left side I lightly coated the Blade Buddy surface with shaving cream and then pushed my blade along the surface 20 times. When I started shaving the right side of my face I thought the Blade Buddy had rendered my blade useless. I couldn’t feel any drag, the razor was coasting across my cheek. I had to look in the mirror to confirm that I was actually doing any cutting. I finished the job and couldn’t believe the result. The Blade Buddy side was super smooth and no nicks. Skepticism gone, just like that. I’m a convert.
What are the Benefits of Blade Buddy?
- Save money: The average consumer spends hundreds of dollars a year on disposable razor blades. By extending the life of a blade from days to months, Blade Buddy reduces this amount significantly.
- Reduce waste: Two billion razor blades and their packaging are thrown out each year, resulting in two million pounds of plastic waste. Blade Buddy significantly minimizes the amount you throw away.
- Shave smarter: Replacing razor blades after only a few shaves is both costly and wasteful. With Blade Buddy, disposable becomes reusable, and you eliminate nicks, cuts, and razor burn from dull razor blades.
How does Blade Buddy work?
Every time you shave, the wafer thin edge of your razor blade gets microscopically bent. Gliding your razor up the Blade Buddy’s micro-honing grooved surface straightens the edge back into alignment, restoring the sharpness of your blade. So one blade gives you a close, comfortable shave for months, instead of days.
How do I use Blade Buddy?
- Before shaving, lubricate Blade Buddy with a thin layer of shaving cream.
- Set razor blades flat on three arrows and push forward with moderate speed and light pressure.
- Lift razor and repeat 15-20 times, keeping the pad lubricated.
Even if you don’t appreciate the superior shave achieved by the Blade Buddy you definitely want to save some cash. The Blade Buddy is an excellent value, sure to extend the life of any blade and at a buck a pop or more it will quickly pay for itself. My wife and I will definitely be using Blade Buddy and I would recommend it to anyone!
Disclosure: We received the above product for review purposes only. All thoughts and opinions are my own.