Spring is here and I am so happy about it! We have been cooped up for months in our house because of the cold weather and my son has been sick too many times to count. Throughout those winter months, I would clean our house to get rid of germs but now I’m into a much better concept – Healthing.
LYSOL is introducing the concept of Healthing – a new idea centered on keeping families as healthy as possible, by looking beyond just cleaning and ensuring that the proper steps are taken to stay well.
- Healthing is the extension of LYSOL and its Mission for Health, the motivation behind the creation of their products that are centered on killing 99.9 percent of germs and providing solutions for the home that help promote good hygiene and disinfection.
- The idea of Healthing goes beyond cleaning – and looks more holistically at how a healthy home helps to keep families thriving.
- One important way to integrate Healthing into your home is to understand the difference between cleaning and disinfecting, as both are important components of the Healthing process. While cleaning and organizing is certainly important, killing germs on commonly touched surfaces can lower the risk of spreading bacteria and viruses between family members.
I absolutely love this concept. I don’t just want my house to stay clean, I want my family to be well. With the addition of newborn twins to our family, we have been extra vigilant about not just making sure that our home is clean, disinfected and free of germs but that we are also staying healthy.
When I was still in the hospital with the twins, I was talking to a nurse about how they were born right in the middle of this terrible cold and flu season we just had. Knowing that we have a five year old who attends preschool, she suggested we start him in the habit of coming home from school and washing his hands right away. Even if he isn’t going to hold them, we wanted him to start a routine of keeping himself healthy so he doesn’t get sick. We’ve made sure to join him on these routines also!
With the addition of being a Big Brother, we have also give him some responsibilities around the house to help keep it clean. He helps to clean his room, sweep and he loves doing the dishes. I know that he loves feeling that he is helping the family and being a big boy!
Lysol’s Healthing Tips
– Don’t let spring cleaning overwhelm you – take it one room at a time and stock up on products that will help you to get the job done effectively, including LYSOL® products, paper towels, sponges, and trash bags.
– Know the difference between cleaning and disinfecting! Both are important components of the Healthing process and LYSOL® has products that can help with all related tasks. While cleaning and organizing is certainly important, killing germs on commonly touched surfaces can lower the risk of spreading bacteria and viruses between members of the family.
– Start with the basics – wipe down easy to reach surfaces and then move onto the little nooks and crannies.
– Remember to dust around wall art, photographs and woodwork.
– Use a disinfectant product, like LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes, to help ensure you’re killing germs as you clean, and think beyond the usual places. Be sure to clean even the smallest surfaces, such as light switches.
– Don’t forget to disinfect places that you don’t see or think about often, like the door knobs, cabinet handles or sink drains.
– Make it a family activity and tailor tasks to specific age groups. Give younger children simpler, one-step tasks like dusting or picking toys up off the floor, and save the more complex jobs, such as vacuuming, scrubbing and disinfecting for older members of the family.
– Remember to practice proper hand washing as well after you clean, either with soap and water for 20 seconds or a hand sanitizer. Hand washing is the single most important thing you can do to prevent illness, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
To help spread the word about Healthing, LYSOL and television personality Giuliana Rancic have partnered together to visit YMCAs in select markets across the country to demonstrate Healthing in action. At each YMCA location, LYSOL will provide attendees with hands-on education about the products and steps required to practice improved hygiene habits in their own home, while making the idea fun and relatable to kids. LYSOL will also provide educational information and disinfecting products to the local YMCAs, along with the donation of a one-year membership to a deserving family.
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for LYSOL®. I received a promotional item to thank me for participating.