Summer is finally here and there’s so much to do! We have a lot planned including visiting parks, lots of time in our backyard and playdates with friends. While I think it’s so important to have a FUN summer, it’s also important not to succumb to the “Summer Slide”. During the school year, my son is reading in school and we read nightly but during the summer when our routines change, so can our learning habits – I’m totally guilty of this!
Learning or reading skill losses during the summer months are cumulative. Did you know that by the time a struggling reader reaches middle school, summer reading loss has accumulated to a two-year lag in reading achievement? That’s why it’s SO important to make sure your kids are reading this summer. Thanks to Scholastic, they are making it fun for kids and parents with the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge!
Scholastic’s Summer Reading Challenge is now in it’s 8th year and they are dedicated to stopping that “Summer Slide” kids can get. The program encourages kids to read during the summer months by providing fun weekly challenges and the chance to earn digital rewards.
This year’s Summer Reading Challenge theme is “Reading Under the Stars” and is powered by Eveready®. Throughout the summer, kids will read around the galaxy and unlock star constellations as they log reading minutes.
I am so excited about this summer’s theme and am already planning a fun “Reading Under the Stars” party with my son and some of his friends. We’ll set up tents and sleeping bags in our backyard while we enjoy popcorn and s’mores while we read some of our favorite books!
Scholastic Summer Reading Program Details
The Scholastic Summer Reading Program is a fun program that both kids and parents can bond together over.
– Kids can log their reading minutes online and unlock fun facts about the constellations. They can also take reading quizzes and word challenges to earn virtual prizes in addition to a monthly sweepstakes!
– My son loved checking out the new book lists to discover new books to read. There’s even a “Reading Under the Stars” themed list with books about space, stars, astronomy, camping, wilderness, and spooky stories to read by a campfire.
– Parents can keep track of their kid’s reading progress online and access free Summer Reading Challenge Participation Guides for book lists, resources from experts, activity sheets and more!
– Check out the Facebook Calendar app where each day, you’ll discover a new reading tip or the chance to win a book!
In 2013, Scholastic inspired more than 130,000 kids from 4,200 schools in all 50 states and 31 countries to set a new record for summer reading of 176 million-plus minutes!
Are you a teacher? Check out the Scholastic Summer Reading Program for more resources, book lists and school prizes!
Scholastic Summer Reading Timer App
Do you have a kid that wants to know if they can top reading yet and head out to play? Download the Scholastic Summer Reading App!
The Scholastic Reading Timer app encourages reading every day and most importantly, makes it fun! The app allows users to time reading minutes with an interactive stopwatch and track minutes on a weekly log. Plus, parents can check children’s reading activity in addition to browsing daily tips, articles and book lists.
Top Ten Tips to Get Kids Reading this Summer
– Like Scholastic Parents on Facebook
– Follow Scholastic on Twitter – On Mondays, follow the hashtag #MondayMinutes to see how many minutes kids have read to date!
– Follow Scholastic on Instagram
– Follow the Summer Reading Challenge Pinterest Board – Each Friday there will be a new collage of summer books!
– Like the Summer Reading Challenge YouTube Playlist
How do you get your kids reading over the summer?
Disclosure: I was compensated for the above post but all thoughts and opinions are my own. Reading + Kids is a passion of mine and I love what Scholastic does to encourage it.