I love to make things for my kids. But when it comes to making something for my little guy… I have a hard time coming up with ideas! We have “hair pretties” and fluffy tutus coming out our ears in this family! That is why I flipped when someone suggested I come up with a cape for my son! Of course he needs a super hero cape… and why not power arm cuffs to go with it!
Here is what you will need:
- An adult size t-shirt
- A piece of iron-on interfacing about 8″ by 15″
- Sewing machine & thread (although you could do all of the necessary steps w/ a glue gun! And you know how I love my glue gun!)
- An applique for the back – you could use fabric paint, or even an easy iron-on
Here we go!
- Cut the arms off of the t-shirt. Also cut along the side seams of the shirt. Use the back half and cut it into the shape of a cape. I left the bottom seam-why sew more than you have to?!
- Cut the front of the shirt off making sure to keep the collar completely intact.
- Fold over the sides of the cape and sew as you would like.
- Cut the collar, taking out whatever portion would make the remaining the correct size for your super hero. Remember to leave a bit of overlap to secure the velcro.
- And now for the arm bands! Cut two 8″ by 8″ squares from the discarded front portion of the shirt.
- Cut two smaller squares (about 7″ by 7″) of interfacing and iron to attach.
- Fold squares so that the interfacing is on the outside. Run a seam along the fabric just outside of the interfacing.
- Turn right side out and iron flat. Next, turn the rough edges of the sides in and run a seam to finish both sides of the cuff.
- Attach velcro to cuff as shown:
- Now you can attach your applique, iron-on pattern or do some magic with fabric paint! I thought it might be fun to make an art project out of it and let the kids design their own!
My little super hero literally buzzed with excitement! Yes, he made a happy buzzing sound as he spun circles around our deck. Then super hero duty called and he ran off to save a potato bug from his sister.
Now you can save the day with a cape for YOUR little super hero!